Friday, October 16, 2015

Podcasts in classrooms/libraries

Today I was explaining to some of my colleagues (at a K-5 campus) that I had an assignment that required me to do a "Podcast."  Many of these educated professionals had heard of podcasts, but really did not know what they were.  Therefore, we need to start at the beginning.  A podcast is defined as a digital audio file made available on the Internet for downloading to a computer or portable media player, usually a series, and received by subscriber automatically (as defined by Bing).  Basically, it is a recorded talk show that can be listen to when ready or an oral blog. 

There are many uses for podcasts in education.  These podcasts can be embedded on a teacher's website or blog.  Essentially, anything that needs to be said to the whole group of students and needs to be remembered could be recorded as a podcast.

Ideas for podcasts
  • Instructions on assignments
    • Especially when the teacher is absent and there is a sub
  • Explanations for upcoming events
  • Announcements / Morning Announcements
  • Student Oral Reports
  • Recorded tests for dyslexic students
  • Reading books orally
  • Teacher instructions for a substitute

Administrators and librarians can podcast instructions for technology, professional development, and upcoming events for staff to use. 

As we all know, technology is not always friendly.  I attempted to use four different podcast programs to make a brief podcast give an overview of the AR program for parents.  These programs were SoundCloud, Audioboom, Podomatic, and Podbean.   All of them require to step up account. The accounts took no time to set up.  Each website are easy to maneuver and record.  However, my personal computer did not want to cooperate with my microphone tonight. After an hour of trying different troubleshooting issues, I ended up having to record on the laptop with the built in microphone.  The sound is not as clear as if I had used my headphone/mic combination.  Here is the podcast for AR at the Ireland Library.  The intended audience is the parents of my patrons.

6 comments:

  1. Great idea to podcast about AR! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danna,

    I like the idea of explaining how AR works to your parents. I'm sure a lot have questions but don't ask, or are too busy. This is a great way for parents to learn about the overall reason behind AR, and getting them more involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought about doing it for AR....or maybe directions too...great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice podcast! And your comments regarding your colleagues not knowing about podcasts are informative. Sometimes we have to not only teach but introduce!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would of saved me SO MUCH TIME over the last couple of years talking about AR. We just got rid of AR this year, but maybe I should do this for our new reading program. Thanks for the idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too had technology issues when recording mine. The connection inside our school is not always great.

    ReplyDelete