Thursday, November 19, 2015

Can Instagram and Vine be used in a classroom?

Instagram and Vine...I have to admit until now, I have had very little exposure to them. I have watched many vine videos (Batdad is my favorite) posted on Facebook, and the same goes for Instagram. They are popular with today's tech savvy youth.

But, can we use this medium/media to connect with students. I have recently read and seen many great uses for these programs in classrooms. However, most schools have wised up the the dangers of social media. The filters in our school district do not allow any social media access while using school internet/WiFi. The only way I could use these with my library student would be to embed them into blogs that I use in the classroom.  I have embedded an Instagram photo and a Vine video into the blog to show this.


A photo posted by Danna Church (@dannac1024) on


Uses for Instagram

1. Book buzz - this is a bulletin board in my classroom where students leave a written recommendation. We could change this. Use the green screen in my library to take a picture with the book you recommend. Have them on a loop playing in the library (using moviemaker or similar program.

 2. I always took a beginning of the year photo for my prek/kinder class and an end of the year picture. It would be a present for parents on the last day of school. This can now be done using Instagram and sharing on a class blog or webpage.

3. Take random photos for writing prompts.

4. Make a school scavenger hunt using Instagram.

5. Take pictures of students' work.

6. Take pictures of field trips, special guests, and activities on campus.

7. Show and tell

8. Getting to know you activity - students have to guess who's picture it is.

9. Inference lesson - What can you infer about the situation/person/place in the picture?

10. Use it for figurative language (metaphors, similes, personification, etc...)

11. About me activity / student of the month - The student get to take pictures to show the important things in their life.

12. It can be used as documentation for a science project.

13. It could be used as a photo booth, to make picture collages, etc... to be sold or auctioned off as a fundraiser for school.


 

Uses for Vine

1. Step by step video instructions for a foldable or simple project.

2. Study guide for math facts or vocabulary.

3. PBL (project based learning) quick projects

4. Document science experiments

5.  Book reviews

6. Book trailers

7.  Homework or announcements

8. Animation (stop motion / claymation)

9. Recite lines in a play

10. Give quick instructions to class

11. attention grabbers

12. Act out story scenes

13. Act out story summaries.


Both of these programs were simple for me to use.  As a first time user, it walked me through each step.  Vine is associated with Twitter.  Both programs can be shared with most social media programs.  Instagram has several different ways to change the pictures.

I can see how easy it would be to get addicted to playing with these apps.  It was alot of fun.




5 comments:

  1. You have some really great ideas about how to use Instagram and Vine in the Library. I really like your vine about using shelf markers.
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danna,

    I am a first time user, and I agree, it was simple. I feel the same way, can't wait to have some time to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you listed all the ways these apps could be used in the classroom. Clear and concise. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You shouldn't have told me about Batdad... Haha! I see how people can be really creative with these apps-- it takes a different way of thinking about how to tell the story, but it can be done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have so many great ideas for how these two tools can be used for education!

    I really hope you continue to post ideas as you come up with them. I'll be following and sharing with my departments!

    ReplyDelete